The coloured squares I put together using the string piece method and then cut them at an angle. It's a good and effective way of making the fabrics come in to close contact with one another. The only difficulty is that because the fabrics are then cut on the bias there is some give when you are sewing the squares together and I think this explains why my piecing is not as accurate as I would otherwise have liked. Oh well! This quilt is not going to be sold or given away, and as I love the fabrics so much I can live with these imperfections.
It has been quilted using tramlines either side of the rows with the lime green Aurifil thread #1231 on the front. I think it brings out the greens in the fabric which are ever present but never obtrusive. On the back I used the turquoise thread #2810 which is a good match with the backing fabric. I chose a very plain, but very tranquil, light blue fabric for the binding. This colour does not figure exactly in the quilt but I think it harmonises with the blues and greens that are in many of the fabrics and are the centre of the flowers on the back.
This quilt is going in my spare bedroom to join another quilt and cushion using these fabrics. I like the fact that there are some repetition of fabrics here but then suddenly new ones have been added to the mix. I think as a trio of items they will look great together, but they are also each a little individual.
Thank you for visiting.