My last post was a Sunday Stash post in which I showed off some fabrics from the Lewis and Irene range Big Bear, Little Bear. It didn't take me long to cut into these fabrics and I can now show off a pieced quilt.
I felt the prints needed to be seen and not cut up into too small pieces, as this would not do the print justice. I decided to have some pieces cut into smaller squares and bordered by 2½" squares. The larger squares are 8½" before piecing and I think this size works really well with these prints.
I have a lot of 2½" squares already pre-cut and stored in colour order. It is so nice to have useful squares of fabric on hand when you want to make a quick quilt. Many of these squares have also been donated by friends who know I find these squares so useful. I did cut into some some new fabrics as well.
The browns, coffees and creams of the Bear fabrics are not my usual palette. I felt that I needed to be brave and add some bright colours to this quilt to make it feel very autumnal and to make it slightly more boyish. I love the blues, greens and additional browns I added. I think it makes this quilt a more interesting quilt for a baby boy as it is less predictable than baby blue or cream.
This quilt is now ready to be quilted. I have a light fabric for the backing and a nice brown for the binding. Here's hoping I find time to finish it this week.